Potential Experiences at Mesa Public Schools to Intern with School Psychologists
Observations will allow the intern to understand the role of a school psychologist and understand development and learning in typical children and children with disabilities.
- Observe a testing session with Psych.
- Observation during a recess.
- Observe a preschool screening.
- Observe a reading lab intervention session
- Observe in each grade level in elementary.
- Observe ELD and non-ELD classrooms.
- Observe different SPED environments (SLD, Self-Contained, Speech, OT)
- Observe a preschool classroom.
- Observe a special with a class (art, orchestra, PE, etc.)
- Observe push-in counseling session.
Activities can include hands on and interactive experiences which will allow the intern to work with students, attend meeting, and complete tasks related to the jobs of school psychologists
- Experience a few hours at preschool, JH, and HS with a host.
- Get data for intervention process.
- Enter some data from parent input and teacher input into RED.
- Attend a New To Mesa meeting - usually on Fridays
- Help in a self-contained classroom.
- Help with self-contained classroom at lunch.
- Buddy with a student who needs TLC attention.
- Collect behavior data on a student.
- Attend a staff meeting.
- Review written reports to get a sense of what we write.
- Sit in on a social/emotional lesson by a counselor
- Attend a Psych meeting
- Attend a RED meeting
- Attend a MET meeting
- Attend an IEP meeting
- Attend a PBIS/AVID meeting
- Attend a SPED team meeting/PLC
- Attend a grade level PLC
- Collect observation data for an evaluation.
*Finger print clearance is required and may take 6 to 8 weeks to obtain. IVP level clearance
You must complete this form in order to participate in the district https://mpsaz.tedk12.com/hire/ViewJob.aspx?JobID=129
Both of these things must happen before you can begin.